Clay Bar Kits
Your economical solution to silky smooth paint
Once people hear of detailing clay, the next step naturally becomes shopping for the best clay bar kit.
I am a big fan of the many kits offered up by car care manufacturers.
It is a convenient and economical way to get more for your money and
sample additional products you might otherwise be unwilling to purchase
Despite the fact that detailing clay has been around for decades, there are still many people who remain ignorant to this amazing tool of detailing. Keep reading to find what I recommend professionally as well as watch my YouTube video located at the bottom of this page.
What is Detailing Clay and What is a Clay Bar Kit?
In the event you have found this page and you have just found out about this strange "stuff" called the clay bar or detailing clay, I will lay out a brief introduction to what detailing clay is, and what are the many uses of this critical tool of surface car care.
- The air you breathe contains pollutants; mostly which cannot be seen.
- These pollutants settle onto your car paint and begin to embed into the clear-coat of your paints surface.
- These forms of contaminants are often called industrial fall-out (simply a glorified name for airborne pollution)
- Normal washing and waxing will not remove these contaminants from your car's paint; you will need detailing clay to remove them through a separate process.
- Since your car is constantly exposed to the outdoor air, these pollutants will continue to build-up on the surface of your car.
- After you have your car washed, check for yourself and drag your hand across the surface of your paint and glass; I bet you feel a surface that feels like it has tiny specs of dirt stuck to it.
- The paint and windows of your car should feel silky smooth if treated properly with use of detailing clay.
your car requires you to rub this palm sized clay bar back and forth
across the surface of the paint and glass until the pollution particles
are completely removed.
- This is done on a freshly washed car in which you have cleaned away what we refer to as superficial dirt.
on how thick the "fall-out" is on your car, will determine how much
effort and the amount of time required to remove all forms of paint
contaminants from your car. I have spent as long as 2 hours of a heavily
contaminated car to as little as 5 minutes.
Why Choose a Clay Bar Kit?
As I stated earlier, I am a big fan of the many car care kits offered by the many manufacturers. Most car care companies have their versions of detailing clay. The problem is that if you were to go in search of detailing clay alone, you would still need to shop for some form of clay lubricant in order to clay bar your car.
So a quality clay bar kit makes sense as you get everything to treat your paint to create that silky smooth surface prior to waxing or polishing your car.
Darren's Professional Note: If you think you are going to be able to polish these forms of paint contaminants away with some form of car polish, you are not only mistaken, but you will be disappointed with the results. I cannot stress enough the amazing ability of a quality clay bar, surface prep sponge, or surface prep cloth in preparing the paint surface that will deliver that ultra-smooth and silky surface.
Picking a Quality Clay Kit:
Darren's Professional Tips
"In the past few years, clay bars are being replaced with advanced rubber polymer technology in the form of surface preparation pads, cloths, etc.
I have become a converted fan and use the first kit on this page as my go-to decontamination tool kit when working professionally.
If you fear change and want to remain old-school, then I suggest picking from one of the more traditional clay bar kits listed below."
Darren's First Pick
Use the Amazon secure link to get yours now.
- Ideal for the DIY, enthusiast, or professional detailer.
- Both fine and medium grade decontamination pads.
- Complete kit that everyone will need; yes, even your brand new car will need to be decontaminated in 99% of all cases.
Entry Level Clay Bar Kits
Just because the (2) following kits are referred to as entry level does not mean you will not get performance from these kits made by well-known car care manufacturers. If you are a fan of either Mother's or Meguiar's then you needn't look any further.
Mother's California Gold Clay Kit:
- Well known name in cosmetic car care.
- Use on freshly washed car.
- Complete decontamination kit you will need to use before any polishing or waxing.
Meguiar's Clay Kit:
- Trusted name of Meguiar's.
- Complete kit for decontaminating your paint that you will always need to start with before you polish or wax your car.
- Use on any freshly washed car.
Enthusiast/Professional Grade Clay Kits
Entry level products are not for everyone. As the saying goes, "You get what you pay for". If you are looking for a higher level of user experience, then one of the following enthusiasts grade clay bar kits will be more appealing to you.
Pinnacle Ultra-Poly Clay Kit:
- Comes with (2) clay bars.
- Clay lubricant.
- Micro-fiber polishing cloths.
Detailer's Pro Series Clay Kit:
- Comes with single clay bar. (a single bar will last most people for years)
- Clay lubricant.
Wolfgang Clay Combo:
- Comes with a single clay bar. (a single clay bar will last most people years of use)
- Clay lubricant.
- Micro-fiber cloths.
Tips for Using Your Clay Bar Kits
You will now be well informed as a car owner or car enthusiast if you
have taken the time to read through this entire page and in many cases,
will know more than any of your "know-it-all" buddies who act as the resident professionals!
With that said, I want to add some of my own professional tips I have taken from the real world of professional detailing:
- When using the clay bar on your car, it is common to leave what I refer to as skid marks on your paint left there by the clay bar itself. This is normal and can be removed in the moment with a separate rag, or during the polishing or waxing process.
- You can save time with one of these clay bar kits if you plan on washing your car right before using the detailing clay on your car. After doing the final rinse of the washing process, leave your car wet and proceed to use clay bar or Nano Skin as normal. Spray some lubricant onto the wet surface of your car section by section as you go. You will use less lubricant as it will mix with the water, and you will also find you are able to complete the task in less time. This would be a time you will need to be working in shaded conditions to prevent the water from drying as you work.
- After you have used up the entire bottle of spray lubricant, (this may be months or years later) you can simply use a wet, synthetic chamois in place of a separate lubricant. Simply place the clay bar underneath the damp chamois and proceed to rub. (See link below for Water Sprite Chamois) The wet chamois will be enough to keep the clay bar gliding across the paint.
- Most clay bar manufacturers will imply and strongly suggest that if you ever drop the clay bar on the ground you will need to discard and start with a fresh bar. (The Nano Skin can simply be washed off) This is really just an attempt to force you to buy a new one. Clay bars are particularly firm and do not pick up much in the way of dirt if ever drop. Simply examine the bar for any obvious dirt or rock particles and remove. I have never had to discard a clay bar by dropping on the ground after 25 years of doing this stuff.
- Remember to clay your windows; airborne pollution will attach to the car windows also.
- Don't forget to apply some quality car wax following your clay bar car efforts.
- If you want to take your detailing efforts to the next level, use this polish system for beginners after claying your car and prior to applying wax.
Darren's Professional Time Saver Tip
As I mentioned above, one of my professional time saving tips when using
detailing clay is to place the clay bar under a wet synthetic chamois
and use as normal:
- The wet chamois lubricates the area automatically as you are rubbing back and forth.
- Prevents you from having to use a dedicated clay lubricant section by section.
- Free's up your other hand from holding the separate lubricant bottle.
- Is also suitable technique if you choose the Nano Skin clay kit.
Pay "Clay Bar Kit" Forward
Now that you have educated yourself far beyond what any local "expert" will have taught you about clay bars, help me spread the word and pay this page forward by posting to your favorite blog, forum, or social media pages.
Thank you in advance,
Best Detailing Tips Home
Clay Bar Kit