Car Wax Comparison
Are you asking the right question?
I get it. You want to see a car wax comparison so you ask.
But is reviewing a massive list of numbers and opinions really going to get you closer to what I believe you want? My guess is that what you really want has far more to do with finding a top rated car wax or car paint sealant and less to do with reading one more list of mind numbing statistics.
The Right Questions
I think informed people make better decisions. But if you lack the experience to ask the right questions, then how are you going to be able to get the right answers?
I am going to lay out what I think are the best questions to be asking so that you can come to an informed decision as to which car wax is going to represent the winning balance for you and your world.
I am going to base this entire page on the basic understanding that car wax and car paint sealants are designed and intended for two specific objection:
- Visual enhancement
With this essential understanding in place, what are the right questions I think you should be asking when deciding upon a quality car wax or sealant?
The Super Simple Approach to Waxing Your Car
Experience has taught me that many people like yourself want to simplify their life by finding a straightforward and simple way of doing things. And knowing I could bury you with hundreds of car wax products and do a very comprehensive car wax comparison, I can also provide a reliable source to getting what you likely came here for:
A shiny and protected car!
So with that said, I offer my super simple approach with the product below.
Meguiar's G18216 Ultimate Liquid Wax - 16 oz.
- ThinFilm technology makes application super easy with easy on and easy off.
- Advanced synthetic polymers offer maximum protection while offering excellent reflectivity.
- 100% synthetic sealant.
- Can be used in direct sunlight.
- Meguiar's propriety hydrophobic (water fearing) technology increases surface tension so water beads up and dirt easily washes off.
- Won't chalk up and leave white residue.
- Does not stain black trim.
- Very ecological and easy to get.
Old Habits Die a Slow Death
For many car enthusiasts and car lovers in general, it is wildly accepted that a paste wax is the ultimate in beautification and protection. While this vigorously debated topic will continue indefinitely the simple answer is this:
Car waxes in a paste form offer the best in visual enhancement, while a synthetic liquid sealant is the best in durability and protection. (As a rule, natural carnuaba formulations will be in a paste version while synthetic sealants will be in a liquid formulation) But with modern technology you now have the ability to get the best of both worlds in a single product: Synthetic paste formulations. Since these are synthetic, they would be technically labeled as a sealant. But since they appear just like a standard car wax in a paste version, most people and manufactures refer to these formulations as a car wax.
You can call them what you want. I am listing as part of my car wax comparison the following car waxes and car sealants in a paste form as experience has shown me that paste formulations will hide and conceal paint blemishes better than liquids or spray versions, while also created deeper shine and luster.
Many guys prefer a paste wax as a byproduct of growing up as the accepted and best way to wax a car.
Car Wax Comparison:
Products that work
Meguiar's G18211 Ultimate Paste Wax - 11 oz.
- Same ThinFilm technology for a super easy and user friendly experience.
- Get the visual enhancement only available in a paste wax/sealant.
- Won't stain black trim.
- Can be used in direct sunlight.
- Won't haze up and leave chalky residue.
- Wax on and wax off. Does not haze up. (these types of products are referred to as a WOWO: wax on wax off)
P21S 12700W Carnauba Wax
- Professional grade car wax.
- Non-staining formulation; won't stain black trim.
- Wax on, wax off; does not need to haze up. (the acronym for this is what is called WoWo)
- One of my personal favorites.
- Considered enthusiast to professional grade.
- This is an actual natural wax formulation rather than being a synthetic sealant.
Pinnacle Signature Series II Carnauba Paste Wax
- Premium blend of natural carnauba and synthetic polymers.
- Non-staining formulation; won't stain black trim pieces.
- Can be used in any conditions; even hot and humid conditions.
- Will not dry to a white chalky haze; wipe on, wipe off.
- Definitely considered enthusiast to professional grade.
- The perfect car wax/sealant for those that want the best that each has to offer.
Car Wax Comparison Summary
In closing let me add a checklist to highlight additional points you can keep in mind when waxing your car:
- Cars do not come with any protection on the clear coat/paint. (this means your new car needs to be waxed immediately)
- New cars have been in transit and storage long enough for the paint o cure before you take delivery of it. (once again this means you can wax immediately)
- Any car (new cars included) should be decontaminated prior to waxing.
- Car wax/sealant should be applied every 4-6 months for protection. (since waxing is also for visual enhancement, you can wax as often as you like if you are very particular)
- Despite what you have read or heard, you cannot wax a car too much and there is no such thing as wax build-up ( I simply have never seen it and have never been able to create this problem)
- Unless you have waxed your car within the last week with another product, you can use any new product on your car without removing any old wax. (if it makes you feel better and sleep better, simply wash your car as normal, and then after it has been dried, wipe your car down with a solution of half distilled water (tap water is acceptable) and half rubbing alcohol (the strength/dilution of the alcohol is not critical) This will remove any trace wax that may be on your car.
- Unless you use an abrasive cloth to apply or remove the car wax, you do not have to worry about application strokes with regards ot pattern: circular, back and forth, horizontal, vertical...anything you want is acceptable and safe.
- I can get any product to work in the direct sun on hot paint, but just know that every type of car wax is going to be easier to apply on a cool, shaded surface.
I hope you now feel more confident and prepared to bring your car to the next level of shine an protection with my car wax comparison!
Car Wax Comparison